Right here’s a brand new factor for some Twitter customers, however not totally new for Twitter itself.
Final week, some Twitter customers within the US began to see a brand new choice to add a voice note to their DMs.
Which Twitter first began testing in 2020, then launched to customers in India, Brazil and Japan in 2021. And now, extra areas are getting entry, offering one other connective consideration within the app.
So it’s sort of new, however probably not. Which is just about par for the course with all the Twitter 2.0 releases up to now.
Certainly, within the first six months of Elon Musk’s possession of the app, Twitter has ramped up its roll-out schedule, and supplied customers with a spread of recent functionalities and choices – however the overwhelming majority of them had been truly in testing lengthy earlier than Musk took the helm of the app.
- Group Notes, which has turn out to be Elon’s key weapon in combating misinformation, has been in growth since 2021, underneath its earlier title ‘Birdwatch’
- Creator subscriptions is a reformation of ‘Tremendous Follows’ which Twitter initially released in 2021
- Lengthy-form tweets is a reformation of ‘Notes’, Twitter’s in-app running a blog possibility that it first started testing in February 2022
- Twitter’s engaged on encrypted DMs, which Twitter started work on in 2018
- Elon made a giant deal concerning the introduction of adverts linked to key phrases, which Twitter first released in 2013 (earlier than depreciating it as a result of it wasn’t efficient)
- Twitter view counts, which at the moment are displayed on tweets, have been out there within the tweet particulars view since 2015
- The brand new Twitter Blue textual content formatting options have truly been potential in tweets since eternally, as Twitter helps Unicode performance
So whereas Twitter is launching loads of seemingly new issues, there’s truly not a lot that wasn’t already in growth earlier than Musk took over on the app.
In reality, the one different adjustments, except for the chaotic updates to verification, are minor UI tweaks, whereas Musk’s numerous claims round policing parts like little one exploitation and spam are questionable, based mostly on professional evaluation.
However nonetheless, Twitter is placing extra choices on the market, and that might be sufficient to make individuals assume that Twitter’s doing extra work now than it was when it had many hundreds extra workers.
It’s not, probably not, however possibly, notion will assist enhance Twitter’s standing in some respects.