Considering of shifting to or inside Memphis, Tennessee?
Memphis is extra than simply its iconic Beale Avenue, Blues music, and BBQ joints. Whereas neighborhoods in Memphis are geographically shut, they’ll fluctuate considerably in each vibe and security.
Your alternative of a neighborhood will largely rely in your priorities, particularly relating to security. Town has its secure havens, neighborhoods which are acknowledged for his or her low crime charges and tight-knit communities.
So, whether or not you’re scouting for a short lived keep or looking for a everlasting residence, I’m right here to information you on which secure Memphis neighborhood is likely to be the proper match for you!
Is Memphis, TN Protected to Stay In?
In comparison with different cities in Tennessee, Memphis has greater crime charges in some areas.
Sitting alongside the Mississippi River in southwestern Tennessee, is a metropolis full of soul, music, and wealthy historical past. With a inhabitants nearing 650,000, it’s one in every of Tennessee’s largest cities and performs a major position within the cultural tapestry of the South.
Town presents a mix of city pleasure and the attraction harking back to a tight-knit neighborhood, boasting iconic points of interest resembling Beale Avenue, Graceland, and among the greatest BBQ joints you’ll ever strive.
For those who’re contemplating shifting to or visiting Memphis, security is undoubtedly in your thoughts. Like many cities, Memphis has areas of each calm and concern.
Nonetheless, with the attract of blues music, the Mississippi riverfront, and the promise of scrumptious Southern delicacies comes the truth that Memphis, in sure areas, faces challenges with crime.
Let’s dive into the nitty-gritty of dwelling in Memphis, each its safe spots and areas which may want a bit extra warning.
Kicking off with the safer sides of Memphis…
Cooper-Younger must be on the prime of your record if security and neighborhood are prime priorities in your neighborhood search. This small Memphis gem is residence to beneath 3,000 residents, making it an intimate space the place neighbors rapidly turn out to be buddies.
Cooper-Younger is 23% safer than most Memphis neighborhoods attributable to an energetic neighborhood watch and close-knit neighborhood. Residents right here look out for each other and work collectively to forestall crime.
The low crime charges and family-friendly surroundings make it best when you have little ones. Colleges like Peabody Elementary are inside strolling distance, and households rave concerning the schooling and alternatives for his or her youngsters.
Tradition abounds in Cooper-Younger. You’ll discover artwork galleries, dwell music venues, craft breweries, and farm-to-table eating places, all inside just a few blocks of residence. The annual Cooper-Younger Competition brings the neighborhood collectively to rejoice the neighborhood’s creativity with artwork, music, and scrumptious meals.
Outside areas just like the Greenline, Overton Park, the Liberty Bowl, and the Memphis Zoo are simply minutes away by bike or automotive. There’s no scarcity of how to get exterior and benefit from the good climate.
Renters and owners love the Craftsman bungalows and Victorian-era properties that give Cooper-Younger its historic attraction. Whereas property values proceed to rise, Cooper-Younger stays comparatively reasonably priced in comparison with different areas of Memphis.
Windyke is likely one of the most secure, most family-friendly neighborhoods in Memphis. Low crime charges, a powerful sense of neighborhood, and reasonably priced properties make it a great place to calm down.
Residence to only over 6,000 residents, Windyke has a small-town vibe inside the massive metropolis. You’ll get to know your neighbors right here, lots of whom have lived there for many years. Block events, neighborhood watch teams, and neighborhood organizations assist foster that close-knit really feel.
Crime ranges in Windyke are 59% under the nationwide common. You’ll really feel safe strolling round at evening or leaving residence for a weekend getaway.
Reasonably priced single-family properties and minimal site visitors make Windyke a pretty neighborhood for younger households or these on a finances. Most residences have been constructed between the Nineteen Fifties and Nineteen Nineties in numerous types like ranch, split-level, and Cape Cod. You possibly can snag a beautiful 3-bedroom home for beneath $200,000.
Eads-Fisherville is a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood situated within the northeastern a part of Memphis. Identified for being very secure, reasonably priced, and community-oriented, Eads-Fisherville must be on the prime of your record if you wish to settle in a safe space.
A number of the interesting traits of Eads-Fisherville embrace:
- Low crime charge. Eads-Fisherville has a 40% decrease crime charge; Violent crimes are 23% decrease than the nationwide common attributable to its suburban really feel and powerful neighborhood watch packages. Residents really feel very secure strolling round at evening.
- Group occasions. The neighborhood affiliation organizes year-round neighborhood occasions like film nights, block events, vacation gatherings, and park cleanups. These occasions assist convey the neighborhood collectively.
- Household-friendly facilities. Eads-Fisherville has a number of facilities catering to households, like well-maintained parks, playgrounds, colleges, locations of worship, and leisure amenities. The neighborhood itself has a really family-friendly vibe.
- Reasonably priced housing. You’ll discover reasonably priced single-family properties in Eads-Fisherville, from small starter properties to bigger properties with massive yards. Housing prices are very cheap in comparison with different elements of Memphis. Renters may discover good offers on townhouses, flats, and duplexes.
- Handy location. Eads-Fisherville’s location supplies quick access to downtown Memphis, the airport, purchasing areas, and main highways. Nonetheless, the neighborhood maintains a quiet suburban really feel regardless of its proximity to metropolis facilities.
The River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral neighborhood is likely one of the most safe areas in Memphis. This neighborhood is situated in East Memphis and is safer than 69% of Memphis.
River Oaks-Kirby-Balmoral is an prosperous suburb characterised by tree-lined streets, manicured lawns, and upscale properties. The low inhabitants density and energetic neighborhood watch teams deter prison exercise. Housebreaking and theft are uncommon, and violent crime is sort of non-existent.
The neighborhood has a powerful sense of neighborhood. Residents continuously collect for occasions like potlucks, ebook golf equipment, and fundraisers. Neighbors look out for each other and report any suspicious exercise to the police instantly.
Households with youngsters admire the realm’s glorious colleges, youth sports activities leagues, and kid-friendly facilities. Close by points of interest just like the Memphis Botanic Backyard, Dixon Gallery and Gardens, and the Lichterman Nature Heart provide loads of out of doors recreation and schooling alternatives.
Professionals working downtown have a straightforward 20-minute commute, whereas the I-40 and Sam Cooper Boulevard present fast entry to different elements of town. Locals take pleasure in upscale choices at Grove Grill, Folks’s Folly, and Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen for eating and leisure.
Harbor City is one in every of Memphis’ most prestigious and most secure neighborhoods. Situated on Mud Island in downtown Memphis, Harbor City is a quiet, gated neighborhood remoted from exterior site visitors and noise. Some causes it’s thought-about one of many most secure areas in Memphis:
- Gated neighborhood with 24-hour safety guards monitoring all entry factors. Residents and accredited guests solely are allowed in.
- Low crime charges. The seclusion and safety measures of the neighborhood assist deter prison exercise. Violent crime and property crime charges are 68% under metropolis and nationwide averages.
- Sturdy sense of neighborhood. Harbor City has an energetic home-owner’s affiliation, and residents continuously arrange neighborhood occasions, yard gross sales, and vacation gatherings. Neighbors are inclined to know and look out for one another.
- Lovely environment. Harbor City is situated alongside the Mississippi River, with parks, strolling trails, and leisure amenities for residents. Effectively-maintained properties and lawns additionally add to the attraction.
- Household-friendly. Harbor City is a well-liked space for younger households and professionals. It has sources for individuals of all ages inside its gates.
Sure, Memphis has secure locations, similar to other parts of Tennessee. However, some areas within the metropolis have extra crime.
It’s a metropolis recognized for its music and historical past, however you’ll need to decide the appropriate spot to dwell or go to. At all times good to know which elements are most secure.
Extra from Greenback Sanity: